Stay Safe as you pedal
Did you know?
While there is no law to compel cyclists to wear a helmet, the highway code recommends that all cyclists wear one. A helmet is the most important piece of equipment you can use when riding a bike, and, for that reason, when purchasing one , always make sure that it fits appropriately and is labelled with BSEN1078
Here are some important reminders about helmets:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Helmets should be worn so that they cover your forehead with the straps fastened.
- Take care of a helmet by placing it in its proper storage place and not throwing it around when you are not wearing it.
- Place reflective stickers on helmets, especially for kids, so that motorists can see them on the road.
- If you fall down, get a new helmet, as it may not be as effective after a crash.
Be sure to follow the rules while biking:
- Keep an eye out for motorists, even if you are on a cycle track or cycle lane.
- Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or a zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your bike across.
- Always keep your hands on the handlebars.
- Obey traffic laws just like motorists. That means stopping at stop signs and obeying all traffic signs and traffic light signals.
- When riding in a group , do so in single file.
- Always be on the lookout for obstructions such as pot-holes.
Wearing the appropriate attire is important for staying safe.
- Wear brightly coloured clothing and place reflective material on your bike.
- Do not wear loose trousers or have long rucksack straps or loose shoelaces.
- Always wear trainers when biking.
- Wear riding gloves to get a better grip on the handlebars.
2018 Zywave Inc. All rights reserved. This publication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as compliance or legal advice. In relation to any particular problem which they may have, readers are advised to seek specific advice. Further, the law may have changed since first publication and the reader is cautioned accordingly.